Nutrition and fitness regimes may not be enough to get that professional athletic body. For that reason, electrical muscle stimulators may just do the job perfectly in order to get you moving. Though some muscle stimulators are used for physiotherapeutic purposes like pain management, most are also used to increase endurance and strength contributing to the overall fitness of the body.
The main reasons why people use these stimulators include the following:
- Aesthetics and Appearance: for toning muscles.
- Training: enhancing endurance, power as well as strength.
- Recovery and therapeutic: removing lactic acid and accelerating the blood flow.
- Good warm up of muscles before starting off with the exercise plan.
Now let’s talk about picking the best EMS units. Here are a few aspects you need to keep in mind before getting one.
- Treatment Time: most EMS devices consist of predefined treatment times. This is where specific time period is allotted for the treatment. Generally, EMS devices may even stretch up to 20-hours of usage, but depending on your required setting, you may adjust the time, as per your requirement.
- Intensity Control: the intensity of EMS device varies from low, medium, and high (generally). However, solid EMS devices sport an array of intensity controls, for better functionality and customization. Based on individual requirements, you may change the intensity settings, in order to get comfortable under your skin. Our recommendation is that you start off with the low/ basic setting, in order to get the hang of your EMS device, and gradually increase the intensity, after a few sessions.
- Power Source: EMS devices of today are either rechargeable or require replaceable batteries (AAA most often). While opting for a rechargeable EMS unit is generally recommended, but it will incur more cost. However, battery-operated EMS devices are equally good and efficient, and have more room for longevity, as replaceable batteries are readily available, and cheaper than the former.
- Portability: whenever you opt for an EMS device, make sure that it’s travel-friendly, and light weight. Generally, almost all EMS devices today, are portable enough for you to carry along with you, during your trips. Nonetheless, you should still consider the weight of the device, if you’re a frequent traveler.
Now that we’ve covered some essential pre-requisites to consider, when buying an EMS device, we will turn our attention towards our hand-picked EMS devices, that are heavily acclaimed by users, and have been performing consistently.
Disclosure: VRLegends may get a share of the sale revenue from the products highlighted on this page. The order of these products are placed does not necessarily reflect their real rankings. Read the full disclosure here.
1. NURSAL EMS TENS Unit Muscle Stimulator
NURSAL Muscle Stimulator features a sturdy design that is, both, modern-looking and compact enough to carry around. This EMS device comprises of all the elements and specifications that equates to an efficient and effective EMS device. With that being said, the EMS device features 20 customizable intensity levels, designed to meet the individual requirements of most consumers. Having an array of intensity levels will allow the user to choose his/ her ideal intensity setting, for ease-of-use, and effectiveness. The EMS device also houses a solid rechargeable lithium battery, allowing the user to operate the EMS device, for up to 20-hours (nonstop). This implies that one full charge will help you store up to 20-hours of uninterrupted electronic muscle stimulation.
2. Progoo 2020 New Dual Channels – EMS Muscle Stimulator
Another really great EMS device is the Progoo 2020, which consists of numerous distinct features, housing a compact form factor. If we start off with its onboard intensity levels, you may be able to select from 40 different customizable intensity levels, making enough room for almost any kind of intensity, which you are comfortable with, allowing you to choose an ideal setting. What makes the Progoo 2020 useful, is that it only requires 3AAA cells to operate, meaning that you don’t have to worry about charging it again and again. Yes, you’ll have to put in those AAA batteries more often than a typical rechargeable EMS unit; however, if you invest in a good pair of rechargeable AAA batteries, you’ll be getting best of both worlds. Having said that, running the EMS device on batteries won’t confine you, in terms of operational time, as you’ll be able to operate the EMS device, for as long as the replaceable batteries last. Furthermore, this EMS device is designed for portability, as it’s shaped in a manner that resonates the physical aesthetics of mobile phone, making it quite compact, and consequently, convenient to carry, during travel.
3. iReliev TENS + EMS Combination Unit Muscle Stimulator
A two in one solution for all your problems; iReliev consists of both TENS and EMS units completely safe and easy to use. This EMS device manages to effectively deliver low voltage pulses, via the attached electrodes on your skin, to stimulate your nerves, attempting to reduce or bypass the pain signals being transmitted to your brain. With that being said, the iReliev EMS unit offers 25 different intensity levels, to choose from, designed to give you an ideal customizable setting. Beginners will benefit from these varying adjustments, as it will give them time to get comfortable with the device. Consequently, there’s a 60-minute adjustable timer on this EMS device, for added convenience. This EMS device is operated through replaceable AAA batteries, which are also included in the package. Furthermore, this EMS device is also fairly compact, and includes a travel pouch, in case you want travel with the device.
4. Ulaif 3 in 1 Combo – TENS Unit, EMS, Pain Relief
Ulaif is a well-reputed brand, in the health and medicines market, owing to the amazing range of products it offers including EMS, TENS, blood pressure tools, etc. This EMS device, specifically, sports a 3-in-1 design, through which, it effectively targets the sore muscles, simultaneously massaging them and healing them in the process. The Ulaif TENS Unit EMS features 33 different, predesigned, treatment modes, with 0-60, adjustable intensity levels, incorporating 1mA increments, making it quite effective for individuals, facing a multitude of muscle-related issues, like soreness. Having said that, this will allow the user to choose their ideal intensity setting and mode, for convenient operation. Additionally, operational time of this EMS device isn’t a barrier here; the device is operated by replaceable AAA batteries, meaning that you could use it for as long as you can, given how long the replaceable batteries will last you.
5. Massage Therapy Concepts: EMS Muscle Stimulator
Another excellent EMS device would be this one. It is known for its amazing functionality along with multiple features. Like other EMS devices, this too, possess solid muscle strengthening, and healing capabilities. This EMS device sports 12 different customizable modes, with 20 different intensity levels to choose from, to get your desired ideal setting. Consequently, there’s a dedicated adjustable 60-mimute timer, for added convenience. It comes along with a built-in rechargeable lithium battery. The Design is compact and is travel friendly too.
6. Abody Rechargeable 3 in 1 Combo – TENS Unit, EMS, Pain Relief
With steady current, 10 hours of uninterrupted usage, adjustable timer and intensity, ergonomic, pocket-sized design, and so much more, this device is bound to fulfill all your specific requirements for an EMS device. The Abody Rechargeable EMS device features 24 different modes, with 20 different customizable intensity levels, 10 self-adhesive reusable pads, and a lot more! With that being said, interestingly enough, this device sports a dedicated touch screen, making it very convenient, in terms of operation. Besides that, this EMS device sports a high-quality, rechargeable lithium battery, that has the capacity to go up to 10-hours of operational activity, on a full charge. This means that you’ll be able to get 10-hours of seamless electronic muscle stimulation with this EMS device, in just a single charge. On top of that, this EMS device is quite compact, making it travel-friendly, so you could carry it along, during travel.
7. TechCare – Tens EMS Machine Device
The last EMS device on our list is the TechCare EMS TENS Unit. This EMS device consists of a dual channel battery along, with robust functionality offering the functionality of both, EMS and TENS. The device itself, sports an adjustable timer and customizable intensity levels, for convenient operation.
Furthermore, this EMS device effectively manages to release endorphins, which aids with muscle pain relief, and reduction inflammation of muscles. Having said that, this EMS device provides 20 bars of varying intensity levels, backed by a strong rechargeable lithium battery that allows 20-hour, non-stop, continuous usage on a single charge, giving you plenty of room to adjust your timing, accordingly. There’s a minor downside to the device, as it is a bit chunky, as compared to other EMS devices in our list, but still, it checks the portability box, as the design is compact enough for travel, if not your pockets.
An EMS device is a very good investment for individuals suffering from different kinds of muscle ache. With that being said, you should be looking at the criteria we set in the beginning to get a good EMS unit.
All EMS devices reviewed in our list checks all the boxes, required for a great EMS device, and you won’t go wrong with either one of the options. At the end of the day, your final pick would depend on what’s your current budget, and individual requirements.
Hope you found this guide useful, and were able to pick a good EMS unit for yourself.